Charleston is the largest city in the U.S state of South Carolina.
It is the county seat of Charleston County and the principal city in the Charleston North.
The city lies just south of the geographical midpoint of South Carolina’s coastline.It is located on the Charleston habor.
It has an estimated population of more than 137,000 people.
The estimated population of the Charleston metropolitan area is more than 802,000 people (2019). the third largest in the state and 74th in the United States.
It played a major role in slave trade. Historians estimate that nearly half of all Africans brought to America arrived in Charleston.
The city is popular for its strong tourism industry. The Travel + Leisure Magazine ranked the city as the best city in the world in 2016.
8 THINGS TO DO AND NOT TO DO IN CHARLESTON
- Don’t ignore people on the sidewalk. Instead, embrace their hospitality and take the chance to meet new people.
- Don’t go out without preparing for the weather. Instead, be sure to check the forecast before leaving the house.
- Do not cross the streets without checking for cars.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for second meal. Instead, if you are not full, you can request for more without hesitation.
- Don’t forget your manners. Instead, use some polite words such as “thank you” and “please”
- Do not block he sidewalks. Instead, be considerate of those walking behind you and give then space.
- Do not stop in the middle of the road to take pictures of the big beautiful houses. Instead, pull over and park, take a walk and take pictures!
- Do not let the door slam on the person walking in behind you. Instead, hold the door for them.
8 MOST INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT CHARLESTON
- It was the fourth largest city in the colonial America and the wealthiest.
- The first golf club in America was established in Charleston in 1787.
- It is home to America’s first Museum, The Charleston Museum, established in 1773.
- It is also home to America’s first theater, The Dock Street Theater.
- A pineapple is a symbol of hospitality.
- The battery is the most visited destination in the historic district of Charleston.
- The annual Spoleto USA Festival is hosted here.
- It was the frequent target of pirate attacks in its early days.