Muscat city. The capital and largest city of Oman.
It is the seat of the Governorate of Muscat.
It has a population of more than 1 million people(2018).
The metropolitan area has an area of 3,500 kilo meter square and includes six provinces (wilayat).
Muscat is an important trading center between the west and the east.
As a regional power in the 18th century, Muscat’s territory extended as far as East Africa and Zanzibar.
As an important port town in the gulf of Oman, it attracted foreign tradesmen and settlers such as the Persians.
The city has experienced rapid infrastructural development since the ascension of Qaboos bin Said as the Sultan.
Muscat has now become a Global city.
The rocky Western Al Hajar Mountains dominate the landscape of Muscat.
It lies on the Arabian sea along the gulf of Oman and is in the proximity of the strategic straits of the Hormuz.
The economy is dominated by trade, petroleum, liquified natural gas and porting.
9 THINGS TO DO AND NOT TO DO IN MUSCAT CITY
- Do not wear revealing clothes. Instead, you should abide by dressing norms of the land. Wear clothes that cover your body and are not too tight.
- Do not display your affection publicly. Instead, do not even consider getting romantic in public. You can face imprisonment!
- Avoid stalking women. It is a punishable offense. Instead, engage with them in a friendly manner so as not to send the “insecurity” signals towards them.
- Avoid taking photographs of the locals. Instead, ask for their consent first before doing so.
- Don’t litter the city. Instead, used the available bins to dispose off your litter.
- Avoid eating in public during Ramadan. Instead, seek a private place where locals will not see your act as going against their religion. 100% of the locals are Muslims.
- Non Muslims must not enter any Mosque. Instead, the only Mosque they are allowed in is the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque. Mind your dress code while going there.
- Don’t drink or consume drugs. Instead, if you have to drink, you can go in a hotel. Avoid drinking in public places. Illegal drugs are prohibited.
- Do not reject hospitality. Instead, accept with a happy smile since it makes the locals happy.
8 MOST INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MUSCAT CITY.
- There are almost no coca-cola company products while Pepsi is widely sold in Muscat.
- One needs a liquor license issued by the police to be able o buy alcohol in Muscat and Oman.
- There are women-only markets on Wednesdays. Men are even forbidden to stick around.
- Oman has an uninterrupted dynasty of rulers for the past 3 centuries, The Al Said Family.
- Houses and buildings are painted in white, including malls, offices and residences.
- Mountain Dew is the “Alcohol of Oman” as referred to by the locals.
- The locals boast of non-existent crime rates.
- Honking is prohibited since it disturbs public peace.